Well, here’s some stuff that’s on my list. I hope I will read much of it this summer. I’m not a quick reader. I am pretty steady though, and I can go in spurts and read a good deal. I don’t know if that will be this summer or not; remains to be seen. However, I can share what I’m interested in reading this summer. I do think I’ll get to a fair share of these.
What I’m reading right now
- The Catcher in the Rye, by JD Salinger
- Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity, by David Allen
What’s in my summer reading list pool – theology, history, fiction, self-reflection/improvement, etc.
- Bearing the Cross: Martin Luther King, Jr., and the Southern Christian Leadership Conference, by David Garrow (have started, aim to finish)
- Uncommon: Finding Your Path to Significance, by Tony Dungy
- Surprised by Hope: Rethinking Heaven, the Resurrection, and the Mission of the Church, by NT Wright (have started, aim to finish)
- Maybe the Harry Potter books, by JK Rowling (have read #1, would like to bust out the series)
- Jesus Wants to Save Christians: A Manifesto for the Church in Exile, by Rob Bell and Don Golden
- 1776, by David McCollough
- The Chosen, by Chaim Potok (a favorite novel and author, I’m thinking of rereading this classic)
- Prayer for Beginners, by Peter Kreeft (highly recommended by my father-in-law, a UM pastor)
- Developing the Leader Within You, by John Maxwell
- Maybe reread Henri Nouwen’s Reaching Out: The Three Movements of the Spiritual Life
- Maybe the Malcolm Gladwell books: Tipping Point, Blink, and Outliers
- Maybe the next in John Updike’s Rabbit novels for me: Rabbit is Rich
Here are my recommendations for persons looking for good stuff to read this summer, one in each of three categories: ficiton, history, spirituality.
- Fiction – The Chosen, by Chaim Potok
- History – The River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt’s Darkest Journey, by Candace Millard
- Spirituality – Reaching Out: The Three Movements of the Spiritual Life, by Henri Nouwen
What’s on your summer reading list/pool of potentials?
What would you recommend to others?